Search This Blog

Carl Sandburg



  • I couldn't see myself filling some definite niche in what is called a career. This was all misty.



  • There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud.



  • To be a good loser is to learn how to win.



  • Love your neighbour as yourself, but don't take down the fence.



  • I have often wondered what it is an old building can do to you when you happen to know a little about things that went on long ago in that building.



  • Back of every mistaken venture and defeat is the laughter of wisdom, if you listen.



  • I am an idealist. I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.



  • I am an idealist. I believe in everything - I am only looking for proofs.



  • Poetry is the journal of a sea animal living on land, wanting to fly in the air.



  • Let a joy keep you. Reach out your hands and take it when it runs by.



  • I have become infected, now that I see how beautifully a book is coming out of all this.



  • Valor is a gift. Those having it never know for sure if they have it till the test comes. And those having it in one test never know for sure if they will have it when the next test comes.



  • Slang is language which takes off its coat, spits on its hands - and goes to work.



  • A baby is God's opinion that life should go on.



  • I make it clear why I write as I do and why other poets write as they do. After hundreds of experiments I decided to go my own way in style and see what would happened.



  • I won't take my religion from any man who never works except with his mouth.



  • Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance.



  • I fell in love, not deep but I fell several times and then fell out.



  • A book is never a masterpiece: it becomes one. Genius is the talent of a dead man.



  • Ordering a man to write a poem is like commanding a pregnant woman to give birth to a red - headed child.



  • Calling it off comes easy enough if you haven't told the girl you are smitten with her.



  • Poetry is the opening and closing of a door, leaving those who look through to guess what is seen during a moment.



  • The secret of happiness is to admire without desiring.



  • A man may be born, but in order to be born he must first die, and in order to die he must first awake.



  • I had been keeping an off eye on the advertising field, thinking I might become an idea man and a copywriter.



  • Nothing happens unless first a dream.



  • In these times you have to be an optimist to open your eyes when you awake in the morning.



  • Often I look back and see that I had been many kinds of a fool - and that I had bee happy in being this or that kind of fool.



  • The past is a bucket of ashes, so live not in your yesterdays, nor just for tomorrow, but in the here and now.



  • Every blunder behind us is giving a cheer for us, and only for those who were willing to fail are the dangers and splendors of life.



  • I know I would read all kinds of books and try to get at what it is that makes good writers good. But I made no promises that I would write books a lot of people would like to read.



  • Time is a sand pile we run out fingers in.



  • I doubt if you can have a truly wild party without liquor.



  • Anger is the most impotent of passions. It effects nothing it goes about, and hurts the one who is possessed by it more than the one against whom it is directed.



  • All politicians should have 3 hats - one to throw into the ring, one to talk through, and to pull rabbits out of if elected.



  • Let the gentle bush dig its root deep and spread upward to split the boulder.



  • I learned you can't trust the judgment of good friends.



  • Life is like an onion: you peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.



  • To work hard, to live hard,to die hard, and then go to hell after all would be too damn hard.



  • Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.



No comments:

Post a Comment